Jan. 11, 2018



When I was abandoned by my family..... desperately trying to hold on to a job, my life, and more depressed than anyone could imagine--- begging for the pain to stop--- I surrendered all. 

I was coming home from working in Pine Bluff and, instead of taking the busy interstate (my usual route back to LR) I suddenly found myself driving on the old LR/PB highway.  An older car with dark windows insisted on riding my bumper and soon, my irritation turned to panic.  I instantly made the decision to turn off the highway at the very next driveway or intersection. 

It’s difficult to explain how, in those few seconds, I felt directed by a higher power and was simply following instructions.  After driving another ten miles, I saw a gravel driveway and felt the car turn into an abandoned church parking lot.  On the right side of the driveway, almost hidden among thick, tall weeds, was a large puppy, completely wrapped in wire. 

I parked the car and walked back to look at the animal’s situation.  The brindle-colored dog was extremely thin and covered with flies, maggots, dried blood, and deer ticks. One of his ears was hanging loosely, as if it had been cut or torn. Worst of all, he was making a wheezing sound and panting heavily in the 100 degree heat. 

There was no way to tell how long he had been in such an awkwardly- crouched position, unable to sit, lie down, or stand because of the wire’s sharp barbs.  The dog was surely dehydrated, starving, miserable in the heat, and needed immediate medical attention.  I had to take action, quickly.

Driving to an old store nearby, I bought wire cutters and heavy gloves, then hurried back to free the trapped baby.  It wasn’t easy and I wasn’t sure how the dog would react once I freed him.  But, I wasn’t alone. An unseen power had directed me to this spot and now guided my hands as well as my heart.  

After surgeries, shots, blood transfusions--- almost one thousand dollars in medical treatment---Cubby Bear became my new and forever, best friend.

At the time I rescued Cubby Bear, he weighed less than thirty pounds; the vets estimated him to be about nine months old. Four years later, Cubby weighs more than one hundred pounds.  He is a beautiful and highly-intelligent dog with a wonderful personality.  Cubby loves all three of my cats but, best of all, Cubby loves me. 

Driving on the old Pine Bluff/Little Rock highway that August day, heartbroken and wanting my life to end, I found Cubby Bear. 

In truth, Cubby Bear found me.

Sally Miller

An Excerpt From My Book: THE BEAUTY QUEEN.